Our tips to prepare your skin for summer
What does your skin need most in summertime?
Good news! In summer, wrinkles may appear less pronounced, and skin may look more radiant. Increased humidity can help plump skin and increase circulation, while thicker skin due to tanning can make it appear more youthful and radiant. Plus, perspiration helps with hydration.
In general, natural sunlight is important (in moderation!) for several reasons:
- It stimulates the production of Vitamin D, which is essential for bone health and the proper functioning of the immune system.
- It’s a natural mood enhancer.
- It regulates circadian rhythms (daily sleep-wake cycle).
- Health: sunlight can improve the skin’s health and appearance by promoting new cell growth.
Nevertheless, in summer the skin is exposed to direct and intense UV radiation, to extreme shifts in temperature, notably due to air conditioning, and large cities may reach high-level ozone pollution which oxidizes the skin.
Depending on your skin’s needs, here are some tips for making the most of your summer:
Preserve your skin microbiota: the skin’s microbiota acts as a natural barrier to protect the skin from harmful toxins, pollutants, and other microbes. In summer, the skin is more exposed to sunlight, heat and sweat, which can alter its microbiome balance. For optimal skin health, it’s important to maintain a balanced skin microbiome during summertime by eating healthily, using skincare products that protect the natural microbiome, and by avoiding harsh cleansers and heavy skin foundation.
- For sensitive and reactive skin types, we recommend getting a head start one month before summer by following a daily routine that includes Le Visage – Émulsion Ré-équilibrante both morning and evening.
Protect your skin from photo-aging: increased exposure to the sun and to environmental stress can cause collagen to break down faster, leading to wrinkles and sagging. For this reason, it’s important to protect the skin from excessive damage due to UV rays and to use skincare products that support collagen production. It is also recommended to protect skin from urban pollution and oxidative stress to limit photo-aging and prevent premature aging.
- Le Visage – Crème de Jour Jeunesse N°02, a revolutionary ASPRivoli® precursor complex of pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) and linoleic acid precursors, reactivates the skin’s natural antioxidant mechanisms and limits the oxidation of cutaneous proteins such as collagen.
- As a complementary treatment, apply L’Eau de Jour N°02 before day cream and all day long to hydrate, boost collagen production and protect your skin from oxidative stress caused by UV’s, blue light and pollution.
Strengthen your skin’s natural barrier: even if skin seems to look better when tanned, it remains very fragile. Use gentle cleansers and a nourishing nighttime treatment, and if you are sunburned, use products that repair the skin barrier.
- Every evening, remove makeup and cleanse with Le Démaquillant, a gentle oil-to-gel texture that melts onto the skin and replenishes your skin barrier.
- Complement your nighttime routine with L’Eau de Nuit to boost skin regeneration and detox by capturing free radicals accumulated throughout the day.
- For sunburn or deep repair, apply Le Visage – Masque Réparateur N°02: formulated with amino acid precursors, vitamin B, and castor oil, it works to repair and reconstitute your skin barrier.
Apply sunscreen before any sun exposure: you don’t need to completely avoid sun exposure to achieve the benefits mentioned above. Even so, it’s important to apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going into the sun. Reapply every 2-3 hours. It is also strongly recommended to avoid direct sun exposure during peak hours, between 10am and 4pm in the summertime.
In short, to enjoy summer to the fullest, prep your skin in advance, avoid excessive UV exposure, hydrate well and don’t forget to detox!
Article editor: Gwendoline Baruchet, skin biologist.